Written by Leah (McGrew) Critchfield
Being the Benilde Director at Roncalli Catholic is one of the biggest blessings and joys in my life. I truly enjoy coming to “work” every day because of the hard work and dedication I witness in my classroom. Benilde students have really excelled first quarter at Roncalli Catholic. Students have been focusing on study skills, time-management, note-taking, and test preparation strategies.
The Benilde program is designed to help students at Roncalli Catholic academically but its impact extends far beyond the classroom. Many of the students enrolled in the Benilde program struggle with much more than just academics. They often struggle socially and their confidence level sadly often starts out very low. Many of these students “hate” school and have not found much success in it. The Benilde program is designed to give students support in all areas that help make them successful in and out of the classroom. I can not tell you how many parents have told me that their child is now coming home talking about how much they love school. The reason this happens is that the program gives students the supports they need in order to find success. Large or small. From these successes comes confidence in themselves. This confidence has proven to be priceless.
Roncalli Catholic’s Benilde students are second to none in their dedication and determination to do well in school. Their willingness to try new strategies to increase their study skills has been phenomenal. Their success in and out of the classroom is something they should all be proud of! I can’t wait to see their hard work be recognized by making the honor roll this quarter!
Below are some tips on how to become a more organized and efficient student while preparing for upcoming tests and quizzes that all Benilde students practice and all students should implement:
- Daily homework assignments
- Make sure you are writing all assignments down so that you know exactly what homework you have and when it is due.
- Making a to-do list is a great way to stay organized.
- Preparing for tests and quizzes
- Have a study plan for upcoming tests and quizzes.
- Study for 30 minutes a night 3-4 days prior to your test or quiz.
- Cramming the night before does not work.
- Use study aids such as Quizlet, Kahoot, Gimkit or good ol’ fashioned flashcards to keep study material organized.
- Use your class notes to help determine what to study. No notes? Start taking them!
- Not understanding a concept?
- Ask your teacher for help.
- Schedule a time to come in before or after school to meet with your teacher.
- 10 minutes spent with your teacher can make a huge difference.
- Teachers love when students take the initiative to come in for help. It shows that you care.
Roncalli Catholic is the only school in the state of Nebraska to offer this nationally recognized program. For more information about the Benilde Academy at Roncalli Catholic click here, or contact Mrs. Leah Critchfield at email@example.com.